Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Obedience



Obedience
I am convinced that obedience looks different in every season.  When God asks for you obedience in some things it seems trivial and in other things its glaringly obvious why you need to obey.  For me the big things are easier to obey than the little things.  For instance, in the past few months I have known I was supposed to get rid of several hoodies that I had from when I was married.  But they were my favorites because they were so worn and comfortable.  I am embarrassed to say that I have just now put them in the Goodwill pile.  The ever so patient Father kept nudging me.  Every time I would say…really God, it’s a sweatshirt?  And EVERY time I put it on I would hear, you really should get rid of that, you need to get rid of that, I SAID GET RID OF THAT.  Now,  I have no idea of the full spectrum of ramifications that my obedience with the sweatshirt will bring.  And honestly that doesn’t matter.  I don’t obey for an end result.  I obey because I know that I know He has a plan.  And he is intentional in EVERY single minute detail.  Sometimes,  obedience  means doing NOTHING.  Over the past 4 months God has been showing me that obedience is just as important in the STOP AND DO NOTHING phase as there is in the charge full force ahead phase.  I can’t help but think of my own children when it comes to obedience.  Take for instance something as simple as crossing the street.  Sometimes you have to wait till the coast is clear.  Sometimes it has nothing to do with you but rather with your surroundings.  There are dangers that have to clear before you can move ahead.  Sometimes if you wait too long you miss the journey awaiting you.  Sometimes it feels like you are waiting FOREVER.  But I assure you, your “walk” sign will come.  As I wait for my sign to change from “DO NOT WALK” to “walk”  I am trying to listen for the little things he wants me to obey.  Which isn’t nearly as exciting as run ahead but its in the little things that you learn the biggest lessons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment